Saturday, July 10, 2010

Homemade Baby Food--I'm Convinced.... again :)

Ok--so I am even more convinced that this is the best thing possible--making your own baby food!

Tonight--Lydia had avocado with mango and a little chicken (left over from us--ground with a food mill).  It was a little runny, so I added some rice cereal.  She ate it up!! LOVED it! and quite honestly--I did too (I could have licked her bowl when she was done hehe :)  For breakfast it's whole milk yogurt mixed with bananas, peaches, and apples.  It is soooo good!

I get so excited planning what I will feed her next.  What has been more "convincing" was a few articles that I read today describing the incredients in most jarred baby foods.  Did you know that most jarred baby food contains more than 50% water and even more "fillers" like flours? There's nothing wrong with water--but if I want her to eat sweet potatoes--I want sweet potatoes.  Water will be from a cup--not on her spoon.

So... enough of the rant.  If you have a baby (and if anyone is reading this)--set aside one day a month to puree and freeze food.  You can do a lot in one night and stock up for 1-2 months.  It's really easy.  In addition--your baby will be eating actual veggies and fruits and will transition to eating regular table foods much easier.

And if you make too much (fat chance)--you can use the extra cubes of purred vegetables in spaghetti sauces, chilis, soups, smoothies, etc. to add some fiber and extra nutrition to your foods.

Well--are you convinced?  I am.  Now--I just need to start working on me.  I need convincing that cake and cookies are something I shouldn't be eating so much of :)  I might become a ravishing animal if I pull it from my diet, but there's always a way to "tame" the beast.  If you hear me growl--you'll know what is happening ;)

Seriously--I think this is so good--that I've even though about making it and giving it away as baby gifts!  Kind of strange, I know--but I just want others to get the same "goodness."

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About Me

My photo
Hey--It's me. I'm a simple, crafty, adventure loving wife and mom who loves to learn about almost anything. I enjoy the blogging community and love learning and growing from reading other's experiences. I became an RN (after being a teacher) and then realized I had lost the creative outlet of my classroom. I've always enjoyed arts and being creative, so I began sewing, smocking, soap making, and delving into other new hobbies! :) I live with my wonderful husband who is my best friend and our sweet little girl. Together we have entrusted our lives to Christ and His purposes. So through this blog, I invite you to walk along with me and my family through our daily adventures!