Saturday, February 6, 2010

Nesting

So.... no baby yet....
but the organizing and ordering continues. I think I have made more trips to Wal-Mart lately to get organizational items--tubs, tubs, containers, more tubs.... each closet and cabinet is slowly getting organized. It seems to be all about ORDER. I like order--and lately--I like it even more.

So I did what I love--and looked up the definition of "nesting." Of course I found many, but here was my favorite:
The tendency to arrange one's immediate surroundings to create a place where one feels secure, comfortable, or in control.

From spiders, to birds, to alligators-- to humans -- all have a "nesting" instinct. It is their desire to protect and prepare for the birth of their offspring.

I guess my wonderment came when I asked myself--why couldn't I have invested this much energy over the last years cleaning and organizing my house? Why does it take a baby coming to make your home and organization a real "priority"? Those are the qustions I asked myself.

Part of the answer for me goes back to the above definition-- I think I realize that my "comfortable" and "in control" environment is about to change! And if I can only get as much "control" now (before this baby)--it creates some kind of security. We shall see.

But on a deeper note..... a newborn is a grave responsibility and it is so vulnerable. I think there is a knowing of the importance of a mother's being in control to protect it. If only we could see other people in our lives, other tasks and edicts (especially from God) as being just as great a responsibility--that we would seek to protect His purposes and other's lives as much as a newborn.

Just something to think about.

(Picture from bird's nest in my yard last spring.)

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About Me

My photo
Hey--It's me. I'm a simple, crafty, adventure loving wife and mom who loves to learn about almost anything. I enjoy the blogging community and love learning and growing from reading other's experiences. I became an RN (after being a teacher) and then realized I had lost the creative outlet of my classroom. I've always enjoyed arts and being creative, so I began sewing, smocking, soap making, and delving into other new hobbies! :) I live with my wonderful husband who is my best friend and our sweet little girl. Together we have entrusted our lives to Christ and His purposes. So through this blog, I invite you to walk along with me and my family through our daily adventures!