Monday, January 24, 2011

Make a Difference Monday

Happy Monday!!

I could tell you about all of the wonderful opportunities I made this week to make a difference in the lives of others, and pat myself right on the shoulder.  But instead I will tell you--I am tired.  Exhausted to be exact.  School started last week--and I am whipped already--without clinicals beginning yet.  I took a 3 hour nap today--and still felt exhausted all afternoon.

I think that is a perfect example of when we most need to be thinking about others--when we have too much focus on ourselves.  It's not always easy.

This week in the cafeteria, I was standing in line, checking my Facebook on my phone, and thankfully, I looked up long enough to see the situation in front of me.

This gentlemen (with an armband--yet he didn't look like a patient--so I presume he was the parent of a pediatric patient) had a plate of lunch, yet didn't have enough money for his meal.  He was leaving his food and was going to his car to get his credit card.  Thankfully, I was simply able to say "I'll take care of that for him"  It was a simple gesture, yet one in which he was so grateful.

The point is not that I bought some stranger lunch.  The point is that so often, I don't think I'm very aware of what's going on around me.  I observe regularly in public, especially at work, everyone sitting around in the lounge on their phones.  We sit, stand, wait in line amongst others, yet all in a world of our own--interacting in a wireless world, yet not interacting in the physical one surrounding us.

There is a "rule" at the hospital, that employees are not to be on their phones while "on stage" in public places, in the halls,etc. so we can greet, be available, make eye contact with our "customers" and visitors.  I try to abide by this 99% of the time. Some employees may scoff at the idea, but I think it's a great concept.  I need to be more aware of those around me.  I am guilty of holding that phone conversation while checking out at the grocery store.  I really dislike that.  I check out, slide my card, and never really have to make eye contact or conversation with the store clerk. 
"Love your neighbor as yourself"
How impersonal are we becoming?  God is a personal God.  So personal, that He sent His Son to the earth as a personal contact with man.  I just desire to add more of that to my life. . . even when I'm exhausted :)

(Don't get me wrong.  I do thoroughly enjoy technology.  I have finally gotten used to texting--although I revolted for a long time. And I am sitting on my new lap top--using wireless internet :)  I'm thrilled )

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About Me

My photo
Hey--It's me. I'm a simple, crafty, adventure loving wife and mom who loves to learn about almost anything. I enjoy the blogging community and love learning and growing from reading other's experiences. I became an RN (after being a teacher) and then realized I had lost the creative outlet of my classroom. I've always enjoyed arts and being creative, so I began sewing, smocking, soap making, and delving into other new hobbies! :) I live with my wonderful husband who is my best friend and our sweet little girl. Together we have entrusted our lives to Christ and His purposes. So through this blog, I invite you to walk along with me and my family through our daily adventures!